Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Zucchini Cakes

Oh my. These were SO good. I just finished dinner about 5 minutes ago and had to share this recipe. YUM.
Of course, all you gardeners out there that are brave enough to grow zucchini, have a multitude of the little green things. And you're always looking for another way to eat them, right? Well, I know I am. Nothing like homegrown zucchini, the flavor is just so much better than the bland ones you get from Safeway.
I found this on Allrecipes.com and tweaked it a bit. Hubby gobbled up 3 of them and asked to have them tomorrow night. THAT is a hit in my book. I'm sorry I can't share a photo, they got eaten way too quickly!
The recipe is supposed to taste like crab cakes because of the Old Bay seasoning. I think it's similar and the consistency is similar, but obviously no fishy taste for you non-fish eaters. This was just a yummy side dish that you have to try! And don't substitute the Old Bay, it's the perfect seasoning in these.

Zucchini Cakes
adapted from Allrecipes

2-1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrot
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 cup panko bread crumbs (approx.)

Drain zucchini and carrot completely, squeeze until all water is out. Mix with egg, butter, bread crumbs, minced onion and Old Bay. Pour panko into shallow dish. Shape mixture into patties and put in panko, flipping carefully to coat both sides. Place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Spray tops of patties with additional cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes; carefully flip patties, spray with cooking spray and bake an additional 12-15 minutes until browned. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Missy said...

We have a huge abundance of zucchini starting to happen. I will have to try this one out.