Thursday, July 3, 2008

Popcorn Gorp

I know my last recipe wasn't exactly "summer" food (though it was REALLY good) so I thought I'd post a couple more recipes. This is a favorite snack food in my family, my cousin-ish requests it whenever possible. It's addicting and tasty and well, just darned good. So simple too! And since I'm making for our 4th of July shindig, I thought I'd share the recipe AND a photo! Whoohoo!


Popcorn Gorp
8 cups popped popcorn
3 cups corn chips, coarsely crushed (Fritos)
2 cups Kix cereal
1 lb. white chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Nestle white chips, they melted the best)
2 cups M&M's
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Microwave white chocolate in bowl on HIGH 1 to 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until white chocolate is melted. Drizzle over popcorn mixture, tossing to coat. Stir in M&M's. Spread on a wax paper-lined jelly-roll pan; chill 30 minutes to set. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 cups.
**NOTE! Do not do what I just did - I overmelted the white chocolate and it seized. That means it turned hard. Aargh. Then you have to send your husband to the store. Lucky for you, your husband is so kind and willing to help your every endeavor!!**

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Okay, so I was instructed to come here, to find out all about "gorp", by my husband. This sounds pretty yummy except for that I can't stand white chocolate. Can anything be substituted?

Sam and Brandi said...

and then you pick out the kix and eat them separately and then you pick out the fritos and eat them separately because that sweet, crunchy, salty combo is da Best!

Anonymous said...

you can use peanut butter instead of the white chocolate. probably 2 cups melted will do. Or use peanut butter chips, chocolate chips or butterscotch chips-same quantity as the recipe calls for :)

mishy said...

Multicolor Popcorn looks like sweet candies such as Popcorn Factory Promotional Code offer sale Popcorn Food.

Anonymous said...

you can add shortening to "seized" candy coating and sometimes save it