Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies

It's that wonderful time of year when our thoughts turn to baking....apparently we are inbred to fatten ourselves and our families up for the upcoming cold winter! I really just love to bake, and I love to bake for other people, I just don't seem to have enough time to do so. So I'm happy to share my favorite recipes for others to make and enjoy. Does that count? Anyway, I love molasses cookies. Love, love, LOVE them. Especially when they are soft & chewy...so good. So here is my favorite recipe for them - hope you make and enjoy them too!

Soft & Chewy Molasses Cookies
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter -- softened
1 egg
3/4 cup molasses
2-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease the cookie sheets (I usually use Silpats to line my cookie sheets). In a large bowl cream together the brown sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in the egg and molasses until light and creamy. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients slowly to the butter mixture. Drop by teaspoonsful onto the prepared sheets 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cookies should not brown. DON'T OVERBAKE!!! Cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container, or wrap well and freeze.

No comments: