Friday, January 30, 2009

Homemade Hummus....better than store-bought!

Wow, it's really been a long time since my last recipe post! I must apologize to my one or two faithful followers, ha ha ha. So I've pulled out my slapped-together favorite recipe book and I'm going to post several recipes. I hope.

This first one is eeeeeeasy. If you like hummus, you will LOVE this. Homemade hummus is SO easy! And probably way way cheaper than store-bought. Just go for it, it's good stuff.

Hummus
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini ***
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 tsp. minced fresh parsley

Place the beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Drizzle olive oil over bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. (Occasionally I just add the olive oil to the ingredients in the food processor, along with the paprika...and the parsley can be omitted)

**Tahini is sesame seed paste - it looks like a jar of peanut butter and you will typically find it in the health-food/organic section of the grocery store. DON'T taste it alone, it's not good but it adds fabulous flavor to the hummus! :)

No comments: